Tuesday, December 21, 2010

My Five Star Resort Vacation.....AKA....A Trip to Nana and Grandpa's House

My family and I live in one of the most beautiful places in the United States. I doubt anyone would argue that the Bay Area, Marin specifically, is gorgeous. With great weather. And ridiculously expensive prices for just about everything. We live in a little house measuring less than 1,000 square feet and most of the year it doesn't bother me in the slightest. We've lived there for almost seven years, long before the munch(my daughter) made her dazzling appearance. That being said, I have spent more time inside our little home this past year than all the years prior. So sometimes it feels a little cramped and often times I find myself fantasizing about closet space. We put up with these prices though, for the outdoors, which goes hand in hand with the weather because in Marin you can be outdoors doing something active nearly every month of the year.

Fast forward to the holiday season and the 12 day trip my husband I have taken to Rockwall, Texas. Not unlike Marin County, Rockwall is on the East side of Dallas and hovers on the edge of a lake, really pretty. My in laws, now known as Nana and Grandpa, are fortunate enough to have a large home on this lake, complete with boat dock and ducks. Now, for someone having been born and raised in California, where houses such as this are only for the super rich, this is a real treat. Walk in closets! Huge kitchens with enormous pantries! Beautiful pool and spa with a lake setting in the background! I could go on and on. This house was resort-like to me in previous years but this year has taken on a Five Star rating. Why? Simple answer, Nana and Grandpa live here.

It's only been four days and I'm more rested and relaxed than I've been in months. My kid's feet haven't hit the floor and she's got new toys to play with. Nana and Grandpa WANT to feed her, they WANT to change the diaper, they've been waiting for this opportunity for months. On my second day here I was able to take a NAP, that holy activity for mothers, only possible once in a great while. I've gone jogging, I've gone to a movie, I've gone to a bar for drinks, and I had the pleasure attending the most Holiday of all Holiday events,
The Nutcracker. I can hardly believe it myself but I'm even contemplating taking a dance class tomorrow afternoon. Every single activity I've mentioned above can be found on my "Favorite Things" list, but have been pushed to the back burner since the wee one took center role in my life.

I don't need these things to survive but yet I feel refreshed, like something may have been missing, could it be social interactions with someone who doesn't respond with a "ggaaaaa, mamamamama, lalalalal doo doo??" I'm relishing in the freedom staying with Nana and Grandpa offers me, it is the opportunity to do as I please. Which, as all moms know, is an absolute, total gift, something we will never again take for granted.

We are right in the middle of our visit and all three of us couldn't be happier. My only hope is that we take this happiness back to Marin and continue to feel the simple joy of family and love throughout the year. I'll be honest though, a walk in closet sure would help!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment